Sunday 31 December 2017

Goodbye, 2017: A Round-Up

While it is true that the last couple of months have not been easy, and that I am still struggling through my illness, I nevertheless find that I still have a lot to be thankful for. 2017 has been a year of challenges, surprises, and little triumphs, and I am grateful for every experience I have had, memory I have gained, and person I have shared it with. 

(Here's to)



At the beginning of the year, I was still an undergraduate, busy writing my essays and working on my dissertation. It doesn't feel so long ago that I was sitting in lectures, or in the library, or at my student house in Selly Oak. It is true what they say, that university really is the best time of your life - for me, it was life-changing. I explored my interests (and developed my passion for Shakespeare); took new paths in my writing (discovering my love for poetry); and made friends for life (you know who you are). Three 2017 memories I cherish most of all: finishing my poetry dissertation, Cold Wind, that I would later develop into a full manuscript; celebrating the end of exams with my housemates on holiday by the sea; and, of course, graduating on 5th July, 2017. 


In terms of my writing, I also have a lot to be thankful for. February 2017 saw the inaugural year of Verve Poetry and Spoken Word Festival in Birmingham. As well as volunteering for the festival and attending many of its spectacular events, I was fortunate enough to have a poem chosen for the anthology This Is Not Your Final Form (The Emma Press, 2017). Receiving this news was a dream come true, and for me, it kindled that little voice in every writer's head that says 'yes, you can'. Another dream-come-true moment came in October, when one of my poems was chosen for The Poetry of the Black Country anthology (Offa's Press, 2017). 

Being involved in Verve proves to be the gift that keeps on giving: earlier in 2017, I was fortunate enough to become a part of the Verve team, joining a group of dedicated and inspirational people as a Co-Director/Project Manager. This year has been all about learning what goes in to making a poetry festival, and hopefully in 2018, I will help the Verve team to deliver one. Earlier this year, I was also fortunate enough to land another position: poet-in-residence at Birmingham's Pen Museum. My journey as poet-in-residence has only just begun, but many ideas are beginning to grow and take shape. In 2018, I hope to begin sharing what I have been working on. 


In 2017, I have also done a lot of what I love. I have been to the theatre - many theatres  in fact (RSC, Shakespeare's Globe, National Theatre, Barbican, Bridge Theatre, Birmingham mac, Birmingham Rep, Birmingham Hippodrome, Bristol Old Vic) - lots of times this year, sharing amazing memories with my fellow theatre-loving friends. I also travelled, exploring new places both at home (such as Brighton, spending a fabulous weekend with a close one), and abroad (Rome, with family). Visiting Rome was definitely one to cross of the bucket-list - full of real 'pinch me, I'm dreaming' moments. I can't begin to pick a highlight - it was all so magical, being in and amongst all the buildings and monuments I've learned so much about. 


I've also had lots to be thankful for since my graduation. I've been busy devoting my time to several volunteering roles, gaining experience and knowledge in the sectors (heritage, arts, administration), places (Birmingham, Stratford-upon-Avon, the Black Country), and subjects (history, literature, culture) that I am most interested in. These volunteer roles include working as a heritage interpreter at the beautiful Sarehole Mill, in Moseley, Birmingham; giving talks and answering questions as a period interpreter at Shakespeare's New Place in Stratford-upon-Avon; and helping to organise an international conference at the Black Country Living Museum, in Dudley. The two former roles I still hold, and I hope to gain more experience and knowledge at these sites as we move into 2018. 


And there are some exciting things coming up in 2018, too. There'll be the return of Verve Poetry Festival; the beginning of an MA (hopefully) at the Shakespeare Institute; and theatre - LOTS of theatre. There'll be poetry, too - both readings and writings. There'll be things I can't mention just yet, but that I'm very, very excited for. 

So, see you in 2018. This blog will continue to be my place for theatre reviews, Shakespeare Sunday posts, residency updates, and who knows what else. But for now, I'll leave you with this: a picture I like to call 'Nel & Bel'...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment