Tuesday 10 April 2018

My Poetry Journey

I'm very excited that my first poetry manuscript will be published by Offa's Press later in 2018!



My debut pamphlet will explore the murder mystery, 'Who Put Bella in the Wych Elm', a true story from my local area. With the working title 'Bella', this poetic sequence follows the mystery from the murder itself, to the discovery of the body, through to the police investigations which followed. It plots its way through local topography, history, and folkloric connections, examining but never quite uncovering the hidden truths of the case.

I'll be documenting my journey to publication on this blog. Please see the page 'Bella, Offa's Press' for all updates. My first entry is below!


First Editorial Meeting 

Thursday 5 April, 2018

Meeting with Emma was invaluable. It's been a little while since I wrote the poems in my manuscript, and I've become complacent - not thinking twice about the titles, order, or how the sequence reads to those unfamiliar with the story. 
To bring this manuscript down to pamphlet length, some of the poems needed to go. Those that remained needed to be reordered, and their titles changed to better signpost the story being told; Emma's insight and advice during this process was much needed. 
It was difficult to cut some of the poems, and alter some of the titles, but it feels good to have a thorough 'spring clean' and work the manuscript into its best possible shape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment